thread: Jaguar E type hot rod? Opinions please.

New guest
    Dec 2008

Jaguar E type hot rod? Opinions please.

Knackered totally rotten 2+2 E-type body but good mechanicals and low mile engine.

Any ideas, seems a shame to let the car rot away.

Rebody or any ideas on a hotrod?
    Last edited by 1949bug; 16-02-11 at 08:43 AM.

Mar 2006
    are you serious?..

Sid.

Jun 2003
    Images

are you serious?..

Sid.
    Any advice or help given is actually based on having done the job, not read about doing it or Googling it.

www.langysrodshop.co.uk Our parts are air freighted so 5-7 day delivery, The best GRP Willys body available/Rebel Wirings only UK dealer/Speedway Motors authorised dealer/Summit racing/Jegs/Hotrod parts supplied, MAC Autos, We deal with all the US hotrod suppliers even non car related stuff.
    Brake,Oil & Fuel etc plumbing stockist/Totally Stainless fastener dealer/Dolphin Instrument dealer, LMC & Brothers Trucks,
    Stainless Exhaust tube & mandrel bends stockist

Dec 2004
    It's a monocoque or uni-body - so no chassis at all. Do you mean use the engine and suspension on an older chassis? If so then that's do-able and has been done.

Jun 2003
    Walk on by, this project would be a money pit & wouldn't be worth the time and money invested in it. I'm getting the impression you may be new to this scene? No one is pizzing on your parade but there are plenty of tried & tested alternatives you can do. If your set on it go for it & you will get all the possible help here but I think most would help by saying re-think. Your not actually building what you want, your using something that has become available & trying to find something that will fit. Thats not the way to start a huge project like this. Build something you actually want.
    Blown Hemi model A sedan

Aug 2003
    its a monocoque but does have a front chassis but its worth more as an etype than as a donor dont bother thinking about it

Aug 2008
    The E Type has to have one of the most beautiful sports car bodys
    ever designed and built. Don't even think about playing with it, it
    would be a disaster.

Dave.

NSRA member
    Feb 2010
    Make it like that corvette from the States that was on here the other week..Think it was on American fleebaybig grill n wingers think you all liked it

Aug 2003

no-way

having restored the 1st production e-type and the 12th a long time ago , trust me its best left a classic and one of the best cars in the world

New guest
    Dec 2008
    having restored the 1st production e-type and the 12th a long time ago , trust me its best left a classic and one of the best cars in the world
    Its the 2+2 though, butt ugly. And the body is shot, and i mean totally shot. There is more filler than steel!!!

Im just weighing up the options, the idea of a replacement body, perhaps in the more attractive series 1 shape appeals a lot.

But just wondering is there is anything else I could do with it.

Its the 4.2 straight 6. Having recently just sold an old 1971 DBS vantage, were left hankering after that engine note again. (the engines are near identical).

What I dont want is to spend a fortune on a new etype body, when it will only ever be a bitza.
    The appeal of saving the heart and mechanics of the car is just as strong, so just wondered if anyone else had done anything etype based.

New guest
    Dec 2008
    its a monocoque but does have a front chassis but its worth more as an etype than as a donor dont bother thinking about it
    Not if I told you how cheap ive been offered it for

Apr 2004
    Rather than a custom how about keeping it as an E type but in a competition inspired theme? Rather than a restoration you could junk plenty of bits and go for a circuit stripped out look. Always fancied that myself. First time I ever drove one I was blown away.
    Keep it nostalgic and it will always sell.

Jul 2004
    Rather than a custom how about keeping it as an E type but in a competition inspired theme? Rather than a restoration you could junk plenty of bits and go for a circuit stripped out look. Always fancied that myself. First time I ever drove one I was blown away.
    Keep it nostalgic and it will always sell.
    WHS....

I can see your point of view about the mechanicals, the appeal of a jag engined/suspended rod, nice power/noise and handles ...very tempting too...
    BUT if the car is that cheap buy it and part it out or sell it on for a profit then use the cash to get a rod...if your looking for an early ford the engine is gona be too long, yeah setback, stretch the frame..but it will loose the aesteitcs and 99% of the time just don't look right....and you can get more power for less money from a small block.
    A 60's look racer, stripped out, rough and ready E type is gona look the dogs danglies, there was one at Drayton Manor a couple of years ago....dropped on the ground, wide alloys, stripped interior, well used bodywork and battleship grey!! it was stunning!...Pick a mythical Jag dealer from the US and go for a road racer look..Carrera Pan America look
    pervayors of finely crafted Hot Rod films and Ray Gun Gear t-shirts.
    Rad Rods vol 1, 2, 3 and 4 available now.
    see trailers and shirts at
    http://www.raygun-industries.co.uk/

Jul 2005

Mar 2006
    Images
    .............A 60's look racer, stripped out, rough and ready E type is gona look the dogs danglies, there was one at Drayton Manor a couple of years ago....dropped on the ground, wide alloys, stripped interior, well used bodywork and battleship grey!! it was stunning!...Pick a mythical Jag dealer from the US and go for a road racer look..Carrera Pan America look
    Yea i loved that car Paul it has been to a couple of midland meets,defiantly the way to go,a fictitious race car,and the photo above too.
    Its got to be done,and will be loads of fun.

Jun 2003
    Use a fibreglass E type body or alternative style kit car body to make something out of the E type but don't try & build a rod. I won't work IMO. As someone else has said if it's that cheap part it out for a profit. It's cheap for a reason & thats probably that no one else wants it or can do anything with it. Sometimes the most cost effective solution is to politely decline & walk away.
    Blown Hemi model A sedan

Sep 2003
    Images
    Remember the Egyptian.
    www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk
    IMPORTER OF AMERICAN CARS AND PARTS, SHIPPER OF PARTS, SPEEDWAY MOTORS DEALER/STOCKIST, BROOKVILLE DEALER, O'BRIEN TRUCKERS DEALER, CARS INC TRI CHEVY STOCKIST AND DEALER, . https://www.facebook.com/randrhotrodimports/
    ALL MAJOR CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS TAKEN

Jul 2005
    Remember the Egyptian.
    yes V12? saw it at ally-pally 1977/8?

Sep 2003
    Images
    I,m pretty sure i saw that for sale a few years back and it still looked the same.
    www.randrhotrodimports.co.uk
    IMPORTER OF AMERICAN CARS AND PARTS, SHIPPER OF PARTS, SPEEDWAY MOTORS DEALER/STOCKIST, BROOKVILLE DEALER, O'BRIEN TRUCKERS DEALER, CARS INC TRI CHEVY STOCKIST AND DEALER, . https://www.facebook.com/randrhotrodimports/
    ALL MAJOR CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS TAKEN

Jul 2005

•